Jul 12, 2009

Healing Assignment Redux

The question I pose is this: Any help on what to do with 2 pally healers and 3 tanks? And, should multiple holy pallys use the same judgement? We had 3 holy pallys, zero ret and prots. For the full story, read on.

Last night was a nasty night of wiping on Ignis. It's not a hard fight, it's just very chaotic with a LOT of things going on, and very healing intensive because of the constant raid wide damage.

Our main tank or an off tank was almost always the first to die. This is a great clue that healing assignments just weren't effective. So I've been struggling to come up with something better, but I have a massive problem. I don't understand paladin healers. I'm currently leveling a paladin but she's in her 20s and is more prot than ret at the moment. So I really have very little clue how raid healing works.

We started with 3 tanks, 7 healers. 2 bear off tanks and a DK main tank. 3 paladin healers, 2 shaman healers, 2 druid healers.

After the fifth wipe, I traded my bear out for my priest (we really had no priest buffs before then, too, no shadows) because I seriously failed grabbing those adds. 2fps is not helpful there. So one of the paladins went prot. That leaves us with a Prot paladin and a bear on the adds, and a DK main tank. 2 paladin healers, 2 shamans, 2 druids and a discipline priest.

So, the healing numbers of the paladins were really unimpressive. I am not healing lead in that guild, but often I step in and make solid recommendations (especially when healing assignments are bass ackwards). I know priest, shaman and druid healing even if I'm not a number whore about it. I try to use both class strengths and healer-player strengths to their fullest.

Any help on what to do with 2 pally healers and 3 tanks? I don't solidly understand pally skills. For some reason the RL who is a paladin healer had 2 pallys on the same assignment and then wondered why one of them had low healing numbers... *sigh* My other big issue is there is so little communication among healers. My other guild actually has a GUILDhealers channel for healer discussion. So I don't know that the pallys communicated beacon targets, that they worked together at all. Just, ugh.

And I really hate to make suggestions regarding pallys because I don't understand the spells well enough.

4 comments:

  1. Well, paladins are still very single target but getting better.

    But if your numbers are not impressive with them, then the issue is the player and not the class. Paladin should be able to keep up with a priest overall, though the druid is going to out-hot everyone and drive their numbers quite high, so don't do comparisons against the tree.

    Ignis 25 should allow a paladin to reach towards the top of the healing meters unlike other fights.

    I'll direct message you WWS output.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was baffled by their assignments. Normally I'd put a pally on a tank with a tree backup floating hots and raid healing as necessary. Hots are so helpful with all the stuns and non-healing moments on ignis. If Each pally is focusing on an OT and beaconing the MT, while I (a priest) or the 3rd pally (when I was on my druid) was focusing on the tank, as long as hots were flying and shammy chain heals were flying, I'm not sure where the problem would be. But that wasn't happening. I'm just not sure if it's reasonable to expect pallys to perform that way. Is it hard for them to spam their heal between 2 toons (MT/OT/self when in the pot)? With my priest and even my druid I'm used to targeting different players and spamming Flash of Light or Rejuv/Lifebloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have more than one pally, one needs to use Judgement of Wisdom, the other Judgement of Light. If they use the same ones, they'll override each other.

    Generally, two of them need to stay assigned to the MT and OT - one can use Beacon of Light and the tank that's not Beaconed and the melee DPS will get the benefit of the heals coming off of that.

    So, you've got the two pallies healing your tanks and the one left over for helping out the rest of the healers with raid healing. If one of the pallies gets low on mana, switch out for the one raid healing while that one uses Divine Plea and throws smaller heals out to the raid.

    Also, what I've found as a *huge* help is Glyph of Seal of Wisdom - when SoW is up, healing spell cost is reduced by 5%. Using Divine Plea at the right time is important, same with using Divine Illumination. Not sure how long a fight Ignis is, but they may be able to get it in at least once (I generally save mine for the end, especially on fights where there's an enrage/frenzy and the boss hits that much harder).

    As far as what spells are used, it's a matter of the pally making a quick decision about the current health of their target and any other factors (incoming damage (do the fight enough and everyone has an idea on how much damage things will do), any HoTs, etc.). Don't use Holy Shock if a Flash of Light will work, and don't use Holy Light if a Holy Shock or a couple FoLs will work. Holy Light's a good spell, and I'll use it if there're no HoTs or the tank's too low on health for the small benefit of those, HS, and FoL won't help, but overall I generally stay away from it as it will eat through my mana. It may be less of an issue in 25-mans with more potential replenishment, but if you don't have enough, but have lots of healers, FoL/HS and HoTs/PoM/etc. should work.

    Anyhow, hope that helps out a little bit! :)

    ReplyDelete

Custom WoW Feed

Healing in General